Delivery It is booming. It is trendy, and everyone is talking in hospitality. Careful, because this is not an artificial trend but the result of a profound change in consumption habits and, yet, a solid and sure trend.
Customers have changed. And still do. In the most difficult part of the 2008 crisis among the few sectors that prospered were prepared the food -In the supermarket or linear promenade of Street- food, the fifth range hospitality, organic products, and food distribution services. The strength of the take-out and delivery and is established because changes in consumer habits have transcended the economic crisis.
These new consumer/customer habits are firm: more and more we cook for fun, hobby and less (much less) out of necessity. Each time we eat more cooked food, bought in supermarkets, in casual restaurants and, especially, we seek to entertain in our home, work center, resort or on the beach, and more and more rich in better food health – comfortably.
New operators in the delivery industry, Apps ( Deliveroo, UberEats, Glovo, Just Eat … ..) We have brought important developments in the sector and make life easier for the potential customer. The ability to choose from many restaurants in the same app, quick and easy to order, and prepaid direct to avoid the hassle of money and change (traditional pizza delivery from the 90s). You can also note the restaurant, dealership, and “track” the path of the shipment and delivery of your order to control the time.
Restaurateurs, for its part, we have become aware of the importance of the sector, we have matured, put aside the prejudices by the operators and commissions we have improved the packaging and the R & D of the dishes to be in shape to the House. The integration of rich and varied cuisines, catering concepts also helped to give a strong impetus (Japanese, Mexican, Peruvian cuisine, salad bowls, gourmet burger, etc.).
Regarding the commissions, I would like to add that many hoteliers have finally understood that the delivery. It is another business, not comparable to the one generated locally and payment to the application that brings order and management, it makes sense for the company that generates us.
Delivery applications We do not charge a commission per transport order or, at least, it is not essential. They charge the Commission as a sales channel, advertising a window where customers do not come, at least at the time of consumption- to your locale, They can see, and you choose… Also, They will charge because they have great communication strength, are big brands, and have lots of potential customers uploaded for use, and that opens your business window (a window that wouldn’t exist if you weren’t in them). These commissions, surely, tend to be reduced in the future.
Why will these fees be reduced? Because the economies of scale of all these applications and the constant improvement of logistics will allow, and competition.
Now well, the sector, far from being mature, is living a new boiling and projects that do not allow us to know what the road will continue and surprises that we will meet in the coming years. Allow me a few thoughts:
1. The regulation of the work of the messengers is and will be a hotbed of conflict and possibly increasing costs in the short term and for a short period of time. The law provides for the delivery options to continue on the current path and it is all up to you each courier actually end up working as a freelance for various clients eg restaurants and not the app operator. Part of the delivery application already working in this direction.
It is not excluded that the couriers can work simultaneously for several operators or other services and reduce their dependence on them. It is a thorny social issue, but from the point of view of business efficiency, surmountable for all parties.
2. Auto transport with self-driving vehicles or all options Delivery to special mailboxes for food delivery, Delivery zones added, etc. It looks like very soon we will see autonomous vehicles doing all kinds of services, including home delivery orders. This will reduce costs, increase efficiency and demand growth. And this is not science fiction, it passes.
3. Cooking chamber (o black kitchen) These are the latest innovations and a complete paradigm shift. App operators bring together, under management, a most successful, more profitable restaurateurs and who make a wide range (Pizza, premium hamburger, oriental, Mexican, balls, healthy…) in order to improve and take advantage of the efficiency of the logistics platforms where they are located (promoting faster deliveries and lower costs). In addition, they are already testing multi-brand orders: the customer, in the same order as you choose restaurant dishes.
The transformation that these cook room they will produce in the sector are unpredictable, for example, given that some applications start to use the catering service directly by new brands or franchises to destabilize restaurants to stay apart from them and they can lower its app positioning algorithm not be a cooking chamber.
4. Some app don’t bet on the delivery room and cook instead they do to walk the street restaurant, if no-room restaurants or ghost restaurants came to call them, that is, Say, Restaurants only work to sell your product delivery apps. In any case, it will be very interesting to see that everything define the sector: ¿ It will be the service restaurants based on the street delivery? The bulk of the delivery will be for brands operated by Clean App and the Cooking Room? I, today, cannot speculate beyond that the winner will be the one who offers the best quality food in the shortest possible time.
5. Some app bet for delivery to other countries cook property other people’s room, ie restaurant operators (or other industries) What to build spaces to house many macro restaurants of different brands and services one or more delivery companies. This separates companies that seek each of the parties to focus on its own, which can increase quality, but also costs, to a third party appears, of which it is the owner of the cooking room.
6. It is highly likely that several of these delivery companies will end up confusing (buying from each other) to lead the market. It is also happening shortly in the landing sector of other operators such as Amazon or perhaps even supermarkets, with the infraestructuras to do so.
7. It is possible that in local areas (medium-sized towns, barrios…) where the strength of the large distribution of applications is less, appear Local operators are grouped together with their own application and delivery service. Attentive to this geolocation in some medium-sized cities begins to observe.
8. If some delivery companies generate their own brands or operating brands of catering that have concluded agreements and become not only technology applications, but also restaurants, surely the brands left on or independent restaurants will seek their niche in differentiation and l improvement of the quality for the public of their environment Are we going to live the delivery market with different levels of quality and service?
Will there be a duality between the overall delivery of significant brands and operators of restaurants and local restaurants app? remember that, whether large is a delivery company or brand a restaurant, the food must be produced and served within a few miles radius and reached local global.
The future of delivery seems fascinating to me. I bet that no matter what the future of the industry is and how they operate, it will always be done with increasingly higher quality food and better prices for end-users and smaller commissions for catering. Whatever happens in the next few months will be fascinating.